Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Did you know...

the federal government considers a 'mass layoff' to be any layoff of 50 employees or more (within a 90 day period)? The recent layoff at Netshops would constitute a 'mass layoff' and Netshops could be required to pay you 60 days wages.

I can hear you thinking "Why?" "How?" "What chu talkin' 'bout Willis??"

Let me explain.

In 1988, Congress passed the WARN act. Warn is an acronym for Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification. This act basically states employers must give employees 60 days notice - in writing - in advance of the proposed layoff.

I know I'm looking into this. I don't know if I have a claim or not, but 60 days pay sure would be nice to have.

You might take a look at this site for assistance.

**Keep in mind - this is not legal advice. I am not an attorney. Consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.**

3 comments:

Unknown said...

very very interesting. let us all know what you find out.

Unknown said...

It seems this would be something better pursued as a group. Individually, the legal costs may be prohibitive and worth spending the money for the return you may get.

PollieRandaGeorgianna said...

They typically make you sign a release waiver before giving you the severance package so that you can't sue them. So unfortunately I wouldn't get your hopes too high. I'm talking generally - I don't know what the NS procedure was. But if you look into it, maybe, you'll be able to get something unless they're a very legally focused company.