Monday, July 23, 2007

Response from transition team member - Temps running Thralow.net sites

Kind of a lengthy response, but I can understand how they might be upset. Keep in mind, to my knowledge, I've never heard from this individual before, whereas I have heard from the other person/persons providing info on Netshops - thus the reason for my belief that this individual was someone spinning the story for Netshops. (Wouldn't be the first time someone from the company has tried to stir the pot here, right 'Simon'?)

Anyway, here it is:

I can assure you that I am not a Netshops shill. Please do not assume that because I said that the information you received from your previous source was
incorrect it means that I am from NetShops and want to cover something up. I have very few positive things to say about NetShops and am very happy to be back in
Minnesota. I am most upset by the fact that you made assumptions on my legitimacy based upon unsubstantiated information you received from your previous source.

I would be interested to know who gave you that information and how they can "prove" that it is true. Of course I do not expect you to give me that information but I would suggest that you ask them to prove it.

There are still quite a few previous Thralow employees who still cannot let this go. We were all very lucky to work for Dan. Blaming the loss of their job on him
and giving out false information is not going to get their jobs back.

We all know that NetShops is not going to be able to run our sites like we did...come on, they have temps doing our jobs! Three weeks of training as compared to years and years of experience with the reps we had
running the show, having supervisors from other departments come to oversee things when they had less training than the temps that were on the phones did...the list goes on!


I would prefer that if you had any questions that you ask me directly before posting assumptions on your blog. I am happy to be truthful with you!


This individual is right about a couple of things.

I have no way of knowing that any of this information is true. All I'm doing is relaying info that is passed to me. Consider this a gossip/rumor blog if it makes you sleep better at night.

Also, it isn't Dan Thralow's fault those of you from MN lost your jobs. I'm sure Doug shook his hand and said something like 'we'll keep your people and take good care of them, blah blah blah' - he kept you for all of 6 months to get through the holiday and then let you go when he needed the lift for his bottom line. Doug and Netshops is who you should be upset with - not Thralow. Once he sold the company, it was out of his hands. (Of course, some would say he shouldn't have sold the company to Netshops, based on Doug's previous history of laying people off, but that's a different story....)

Another interesting piece of information was revealed in the above email. Temps are running the Thralow sites. Now, I don't know if that means they're handling the customer service calls or they're actually managing the sites themselves. I suspect they're only in call center roles. Regardless, weren't temps part of the problem last holiday season? Lack of knowledge, lack of enthusiasm, and just there to make a quick paycheck - those aren't the Netshops employee qualifications I remember. Maybe cheaper labor, fewer benefits to provide and more profit as a result is worth the loss on customer service related issues.

Course, that could be why Netshops loses so much money from the call center end of things. Or it could just be the call center management doesn't know what they're doing....

2 comments:

Cooler By the Lake said...

I just wanted to say that I have watched your blog from time to time--it has given me some sense of solace. It was very difficult to be part of something at Thralow (including its private label Zhumell, that per cloudy nights,has not been doing well) transition to a company that didn't seem to include integrity and decency into their "business model." I simply can't fathom how one can treat their employees so indecent but can boast that they offer the best customer service in the e-retail industry.
One can only hope that Kharma, the truth comes, around sooner rather than later.

Unknown said...

I'm sure it was difficult. But for $28 Million, you would have done the same thing. Money talks, bullsh*t walks.