Thursday, July 19, 2007

Update - Thralow.net sites not struggling? Netshops warehouse for sale?

I received an email from someone saying they were part of the 'transition' team and the information about Thralow was not correct.

Unfortunately the individual did not go into details. If they'd like to provide some additional information, I'd be happy to correct any misinformation. (I've received another email from the original person saying they can confirm the info though... so is this in fact true? Maybe the person on the 'transition' team is again, a Netshops shill trying to put things in a positive spin?)

Another email I received this week states the Netshops warehouse has either been sold or is up for sale. Again, I don't know if this is fact or not - just relaying what I've heard. Supposedly it comes from someone higher up the chain who was impacted by the layoffs.

So, the warehouse - Doug's jewel and a bragging point when talking to potential vendors "We have our own 10 bajillion square foot warehouse with 12 docks to handle product on a seasonal basis" could be up for sale. Wonder why?

Thralow sites may or may not be doing well. Optics versus wine racks. Which do you think is going to take more time to learn about? Which do you think would be a more technical sale?

Here's how I'd imagine a Telescopes.com customer service call would go:
Customer 'I'd like to look at the Netshops Nebula in quadrant alpha delta beta zed. Will this telescope let me do that?'

Netshops rep 'Ummm... let me submit a product question and we'll get back to you.'

Now the Wineracks.com call:
Customer 'I need a wine rack to hold 26 bottles.'

Netshops rep 'I've got one here - it says it is MDF'

Customer 'What is MDF?'

Netshops rep 'Ummm... let me submit a product question...'

3 comments:

J said...

Wow! Great to see the blog is back. I know a lot of people missed reading your comments about their former/current employer. One thing I've heard is all the distractions from Thralow, the re-orgs, etc. combined with laying off some of their best employees every six months have really hurt the core business. CSN has surpassed NetShops in store count and making some serious challenges categories NS used to be #1 in.

PollieRandaGeorgianna said...

It sounds like the Thralow integration isn't going so well.

Any word how things are going with the acquisition of Radar Busters, or on core Netshops operations?

Might they be selling the warehouse to upgrade to a larger one? It seems like their top line sales are growing well.

been there and have sync shirt said...

The warehouse comment doesn't make sense. NS doesn't own any physical structures, they lease. IF the building in Chalco is for sale, then the landlord is doing it, not Doug.